- 2 pound(s) broccoli rabe, stem ends trimmed, chopped
- 3 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 clove(s) garlic, chopped
- 6 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Bring a large pot or Dutch oven of water to a boil. Add broccoli rabe and cook until tender when pierced with a fork, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain well. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, anchovies and crushed red pepper (if using); cook, stirring, until the garlic is very light brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the broccoli rabe, toss to coat, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- 1 lb. tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup STAR Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. STAR Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled and cubed
Combine all ingredients except avocado in food processor and blend until smooth. Salt to taste. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Serve in bowls and garnish with cubed avocado.
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, halved and seeded
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup instant or parboiled brown rice
- 1 3/4 cups water, or 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chopped fennel fronds, (see Ingredient Note)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Grate the squash through the large holes of a box grater. Heat oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and lightly colored, 10 to 12 minutes. Combine 2 tablespoons water and tomato paste in a small bowl and stir it into the pan. Add rice and stir to coat. Add the squash, in batches if necessary, and stir until it has reduced in volume enough so that you can cover the pan. Increase the heat to medium-high, pour in 1 3/4 cups water (or broth) and wine, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, covered, stirring once or twice, until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid and the squash is tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Add fennel fronds, oregano, salt, cinnamon and pepper; gently stir to combine. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- 3 green tea teabags
- 1 cup quick-cooking pearled barley
- 3 cups ½-inch diced butternut squash (12 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced unblanched almonds, toasted
Boil 3 cupes of water in a medium saucepan. Turn off hea and tea bags. Let steep for 5 minutes. Remove and discard tea bags. Meanwhile, toast barley in a dry sauté pan or deep skillet over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add squash, 1 cup of the tea, curry and salt. Simmer for 3-4 minutes until tea is absorbed. Stir frequently. Add additional tea by cupfuls, simmering until tea is absorbed before adding additional liquid. This should take 12 to 14 minutes. When barley and squash are tender and all tea has been incorporated, remove from heat. Stir in goat cheese until melted and creamy. Serve and top with almonds.
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup torn fresh baby spinach
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- 2 whole pita breads
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
In a small skillet (nonstick) coated with cooking spray, cook and stir red peppers and onion over medium heat for 3 minutes. Whisk the egg substitute, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add egg mixture to skillet. Cook and stir until set.
Spoon tomato, spunach and basil onto pitas. Top with egg mixture and sprinkle with feta cheese.
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon light maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 grape tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh string beans
Mix fat-free sour cream with maple syrup and vanilla extract. Dip grape tomatoes and string beans in dip.
- 2 slices of whole-wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 4 to 6 artichoke hearts
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 3 ounces slided turkey breast
- 15 baby carrots
- 1 cup green or red grapes
Spread slices whole-wheat bread with mayonnaise and stuff with artichoke hearts, mozzarella cheese, sliced turkey breast. Serve with baby carrots and green or red grapes.
- 1 x 6″ French baguette roll
- 1/3 cup 33% reduced-fat shredded mozzarell cheese
- 2 Large red tomatoes
Slice french baguette roll in half lengthwise. Sprinkle the halves with mozzarella cheese and bake in toaster oven at 250 degrees for 4 to 6 minutes, until cheese is just beginning to melt. Meanwhile, slice tomatoes in 1/2-inch slices. Remove baguette from toaster oven, sprinkle with a little dried basil and dried oregano (optional). Top with tomato slices.
- 12 Medium-sized or 9 large-size shrimp (3 ounces)
- 1/4 cup of white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 cup of chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 cup blueberries
To make basil marinade:
Combine and whisk together 1/4 cup white wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 1/8 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil.
Marinate shrimp in a basil marinade for at least 30 minutes or overnight. Grill shrimp until cooked. Top 2 cups of romaine lettuce with the shrimp and mix well into greens. Serve with 1 cup blueberries.
- 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken, (about 12 ounces; see Tip)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, or oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe black olives
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Whisk vinegar, oil, dill (or oregano), garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives and feta; toss to coat.