- 3 green tea teabags
- 1 cup quick-cooking pearled barley
- 3 cups ½-inch diced butternut squash (12 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced unblanched almonds, toasted
Boil 3 cupes of water in a medium saucepan. Turn off hea and tea bags. Let steep for 5 minutes. Remove and discard tea bags. Meanwhile, toast barley in a dry sauté pan or deep skillet over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add squash, 1 cup of the tea, curry and salt. Simmer for 3-4 minutes until tea is absorbed. Stir frequently. Add additional tea by cupfuls, simmering until tea is absorbed before adding additional liquid. This should take 12 to 14 minutes. When barley and squash are tender and all tea has been incorporated, remove from heat. Stir in goat cheese until melted and creamy. Serve and top with almonds.