- 16 oz of soaked and boiled chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- 2 fluid ounces of the liquid from boiling the chickpeas
- 3-5 tablespoons of natural lemon juice
- 1 ½ -2 tablespoons of tahini
- 2-3 crushed cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil
Soak about 3 ounces of chickpeas for a minimum of 12 hours. Boil them and set aside, keep the water. Combine the chickpeas with the rest of the ingredients in blender. Add about ¼ cup of water from chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low speed until mixture is of a smooth consistency.
Place in a dish with a shallow well in the center.
Add a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) of virgin olive oil in the center of the dish. Sprinkle some red pepper and garnish with parsley (optional).